The side pods on the original eagles were solid wood covered with perspex. My method may seem complicated, but the pods were designed to be made with the limited tools and equipment I had.

I started with the mid section. This consisted of a top, bottom and four sides of plywood, fixed together with PVA glue and panel pins. Styrene sheet was fixed to the top and four sides with super glue gel (picture 1).
The top section was made entirely of styrene sheet (pictures 2 and 3).
The side pod is attached to the eagle with a piece of wood that slides into the framework. This was cut and stuck in place with epoxy glue (picture 4). The top section was then finished, with the styrene cut around the wood (picture 5).
Picture 6 shows the plywood finish to the bottom of the pods. I made them this way because I originally intended to make the bottom sections out of solid wood. I realised I didn’t have the tools to cut them accurately, so I devised a different method of finishing the pods.
First four corner pieces were made from styrene sheet (picture 7). Some softwood in-fill bits were cut and fixed with PVA wood glue (picture 8). Then the pod was finished off with styrene sheet (pictures 9 and 10).
The bottom piece was cut and stuck in place (picture 11), this was a mistake. As this piece needs to be black, it would have been a lot easier to fix it in place after all the painting was done and avoid a lot of awkward masking (picture 12).
Using a side pod from my AB eagle kit as a guide (picture 13), I chose some styrene of the correct thickness for the panel work. This was then cut , and fixed with super glue (picture 14). The blocks that the attitude jets attach to were made from hardwood covered in styrene (picture 15).
I managed to buy an airfix Saturn 5 kit and borrow a Gemini kit. I made some moulds from liquid latex and cast some new parts in resin (picture 16). At this time the 24th scale Gemini kit was re-issued, so I bought three kits and used the actual parts from them (picture 17).
The landing gear is made from entirely from brass, all soldered together. You can see the general method of construction in pictures 18, 19 and 20.
Comparing the finished result with an original (pictures 21 and 22), you can see that it is not exactly correct, but close enough for me.
The landing gear moves up and down (picture 23), but is not sprung. A hole was drilled in the bottom of the pod (picture 24). It went through the plastic and softwood, but not the ply. Therefore the gear can only go up so far before it hits the plywood and supports the eagle (picture 25). I put a layer of hard foam in the hole to soften the “landing”.
The feet were made from 5mm Perspex with thin styrene sheet for the panels (picture 26). The brass parts of the gear were sprayed with acrylic grey primer and gloss varnish. The feet were painted with various shades of grey panels (picture 27), by the same method as used for the command module.
After the pods were painted, I attached the attitude jets. They were cut to sit at a slight angle, then a small hole was drilled through them and into the wood block. Cut down panel pins were used to hold them in place, and they were fixed with super glue (picture 28).The landing gear is held in place by a single screw (picture 29).
A finished side pod.

Main Page - CGI Models - Models and Props - Cobi and Lego Models - Links